Sunday, November 16, 2008

No mac-n-cheese here!


Bill and I are just getting a taste of what it would mean to be empty nesters. Our children are teenagers and still around but come Sat. night...they're gone! As soon as the back door slams shut, Bill always turns to me and says, What do we do now?". Note: I really don't have a problem with this...its Judy Laquidara's Quiltathon weekend and I could sew, (Oh, why doesn't he hunt?) so we decide to cook. Bill found a recipe for turnips on, Pioneer Women, and pioneer women says its a must try and I wanted to saute some green onion, garlic, and water chestnuts in olive oil and balsamic vinegar to put on some steamed green beans. As I put a chicken in the oven to roast and set the other dishes into motion, I poured myself a glass of wine and realized I don't have to fix mac-n-cheese or listen to," Eww What is this?"...and.."Can we pop some corn after dinner? " And, yes,I do realize that someday I'm going to miss that..but just not tonight. Oh, and Pioneer woman is completely right, you do have to try the turnip gratin.

No comments: