Monday, March 30, 2009

Fresh Apple Cake

I had seen this recipe in the April issue of Midwest Living, submitted by Sharon Buckner of Rhineland Missouri. The recipe looked real easy and Sharon claimed,"it gets a sugary top and caramelized gooey bottom". Yum..I was curious to see if this was really true. Oh my, this is a recipe I will make again and again. So easy and so good. Its everything Sharon claimed it would be.
I had started the 1st of March trying to eat all the stuff your supposed to and none of the stuff you shouldn't. I hung tough...I surprised myself...I did really well. And, yes of course I wanted to lose some weight but what I really wanted more than anything was to eat better and I did. I did lose some weight and I feel alot better...more energy.
Sunday was my birthday...I could eat what I wanted..if only for one day and I put a lot of thought into this(like everyday when I was eating steamed vegatable)
I started out with Pioneer Womens Migas. Sort of a Mexican omelet with jalapeno pepper, cotija cheese, and fresh cilantro...oh yea! And then, Fresh Apple Cake...it was worth all the work.

Now, I need a new carrot in front of me to work towards...mmmmm...probably that new golf skort my husband gave me for my birthday...yeah yeah that will work!


Fresh Apple Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar(I used 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup white sugar)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, lighty beaten
1 1/4 cups canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped (3 cups)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts,
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)

1. Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking pan; set aside. In a very large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; make a well in center of dry mixture.
2. In bowl, combine eggs, oil and vanilla; stir in apples and nuts. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened (batter will be thick). Spread in prepared pan.
3. Bake 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a wood toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream

No comments: